Earlier this year, we posted how teens continue to text while driving, even though an overwhelming majority know such actions could eventually lead to possibly fatal accidents.
Well, statistics became real for the family of Donald Bowley. Last year, on February 20, Bowley’s truck was struck by Aaron Deveau’s vehicle. Bowley was killed, while his passengers were seriously injured. According to prosecutors and reports on the accident, Deveau had sent nearly 200 text messages that day, with several messages sent before the crash, and even afterwards.
In 2010, Massachusetts joined the 30+ states banning texting while driving. The Massachusetts “Safe Driving Law” has several restrictions on teen drivers, who are not allowed to use any mobile devices (e.g., cellphones, smartphones, etc.) while driving except if certain, very specific circumstances.
Deveau was seventeen at the time of the crash, and has subsequently convicted on charges of motor vehicle homicide, negligent operation of said vehicle, using a mobile phone while driving, texting, and other miscellaneous charges. The judge sentenced him one year in jail, 40 hours of community service, and the suspension of his driver’s license for 15 years. Deveau, who plead not guilty to the accident, also stated he was not texting before the collision. Says Deveau, “I made a mistake. If I could take it back, I would take it back. I just want to apologize to the family.”
55-year old Bowley leaves behind three children. One of the injured in the truck was his girlfriend.