Mazda recently released some details of its upcoming line for 2007: the new CX-9, the hard-top MX-5 (formerly known as the Miata), and updated or refreshed versions of theCX-7, RX-8 sportcar, and Mazda3, 5, and 6.
The latest Mazda product introduction, the all-new 2007 CX-9, is a seven -passenger crossover sport-utility vehicle (SUV) and arrives at Mazda dealerships in early 2007. The Mazda CX-9’s design sets new standards for style, while incorporating an interior of sophisticated elegance with class-leading space and unmatched versatility. CX-9 is a clean break from the traditional boxy SUVs crowding the U.S. market, deftly blending sporty driving spirit with seven-passenger SUV practicality.
CX-9 is a medium-sized crossover SUV riding on the class’s longest wheelbase to provide easy access to its three-row seating. There’s ample room for adults in every position and sufficient cargo space to accommodate modern American families. Under the sleek exterior is an interior that will impress demanding customers with its space, utility, versatility and premium features. The CX-9 is powered by a new 3.5-liter V6 with a peak output of approximately 250 horsepower (final CX-9 output ratings will be available in the full 2007 press kit).
Highlights of the 2007 CX-9 include:
- Powerful 3.5-liter V6 engine producing approximately 250 horsepower at 6,250 rpm and approximately 240 lb-ft torque at 4,500 rpm (final CX-9 output ratings will be available in the full 2007 press kit)
- Standard six-speed Sport A/T automatic transmission, which provides optimum acceleration and passing performance coupled with excellent highway fuel efficiency
- Available with front-wheel drive or Mazda’s Active Torque Split all-wheel drive system
- Stiff unibody chassis provides a sound foundation for a poised ride and agile handling
- Sophisticated appearance with rising belt line, bold wheel and tire emphasis and steeply angled windshield and backlight
- Elegantly configured interior constructed with top-quality materials
- Available BOSE ® premium sound system with 10 speakers in a CENTERPOINT ® surround system; ceiling-mounted rear seat entertainment DVD system; DVD-based navigation system with 7-inch touch-sensitive display screen and backup camera
- Standard Roll Stability Control (RSC), which uses both body-roll rate and wheel speed sensors to determine when corrective action is necessary
- Standard side-curtain air bags which protect outboard passengers in all three seating rows
Launched in May, 2006, the 2007 CX-7 is a highly styled crossover SUV with a decided soul of a sportscar. Produced entirely on Mazda-derived platform architecture, the five-passenger CX-7 embodies an astute blend of sports car verve and SUV practicality, resulting in a fun-to-drive SUV that represents everything a Mazda SUV should be.
Prominent front fenders, A-pillars rooted at the body’s leading edge, a sharply raked windshield and Mazda’s signature five-pointed grille clearly register this new model as a Mazda. CX-7 is *** with a turbocharged and intercooled 2.3-liter four-cylinder direct-injection gasoline engine similar to that *** to the MAZDASPEED 3 , but producing 244 horsepower in this application. Mazda CX-7 delivers an estimated 23 mpg in combined driving.
Inside, the CX-7 is sporty with a high degree of craftsmanship. To draw drivers inside, there’s a three-dial instrument cluster, a console supporting the shifter within close reach, three-spoke steering wheel and firmly contoured front bucket seats, all provided with a high quality feel.
Highlights of the 2007 CX-7 include:
- Turbocharged and intercooled 2.3-liter four-cylinder direct-injection spark-ignition (DISI) engine producing 244 horsepower and 258 lb-ft torque
- Six-speed Sport A/T automatic transmission with manual mode
- Independent rear multi-link suspension with stabilizer bar
- 18-inch alloy wheels with 235/60R18 all-season tires
- Efficient aerodynamics with best-in-class performance for coefficient of drag
- Power windows with one-touch open/close on front windows, power locks and keyless entry with retractable key
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Traction Control System (TCS)
- Standard front side-impact air bags and side air curtains (front and rear) with roll-over protection
For the 2006 model year, the popular Mazda MX-5 received its second redesign since it was first launched in 1989. For 2007, the third-generation MX-5 Miata adds minor interior features and offers two new exterior colors. The heart of the MX-5 remains a highly-responsive MZR-series 2.0-liter, 170-horsepower (at 6,700 rpm) powerplant. The 2006 MX-5 has a light and compact engine, featuring chain-driven double overhead camshafts, lightweight fly wheel, variable intake valve timing, electronically controlled port fuel injection and coil-on-plug ignition. Revving smoothly to its 7,000 rpm redline, the 2.0-liter engine delivers 140 lb-ft of torque at 5000 rpm for driving exhilaration throughout the rev range.
The convertible top remains the very model of simplicity: from the driver or passenger seat, release a single windshield-header latch and just push the top backwards. That’s it – no bulky or cumbersome boot or tonneau covers, and no need to get out of the car.
Enhancements to the 2007 MX-5 include:
- New power retractable hardtop model (specific product information will be available closer to launch)
- Added one-touch power-down passenger window (in addition to one-touch driver window) to Sport models with Convenience Package as well as Touring and Grand Touring models
- Two new exterior colors – Stormy Blue and Highland Green
All new for 2006, The MAZDA 5 is a three-row, six-passenger multi-activity vehicle that drives like a sports car but efficiently transports people and equipment like a large SUV. MAZDA 5 demonstrates Mazda’s infusion of stylish, insightful and spirited vehicles. The 2007 MAZDA 5 adds a new Grand Touring Package and exterior colors.
The MAZDA 5 is powered by an all-aluminum 2.3-liter, four-cylinder MZR series engine, producing 157 horsepower and 148 lb-ft of torque, shared with the popular MAZDA 3 . Inside, the MAZDA 5 offers a flexible seating arrangement and a flowing wedge-shaped body with solid proportions, defining the vehicle as unmistakably Mazda. The MAZDA 5 ’s large sliding doors and low floor allow for fluid ingress and egress, and a one-touch walk-in mechanism offers easy access to the third-row seats.
Enhancements for the 2007 MAZDA 5 include:
- Added Grand Touring Package with leather-trimmed heated seats, xenon/High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights with manual leveling, black headlight and taillight bezels
- Two new exterior colors – Galaxy Gray Mica and Dark Plum Mica
Introduced in 2006, the MAZDASPEED 6 is the fastest accelerating, best handling and most advanced sport sedan Mazda has ever built. The heart of the MAZDASPEED 6 is the MZR 2.3 DISI (Direct Injection Spark Ignition) Turbo engine. Turbocharged and intercooled, the 2.3L aluminum I-4 engine produces 274 horsepower. Taking advantage of the inherent cooling and efficiency of direct gasoline injection, Mazda applied a fast-spooling single-scroll turbo to supply up to 15 psi of boost, resulting in 280 lb-ft torque at only 3000 rpm.
To accommodate the powerful engine, an Active Torque-Split All-Wheel Drive system is utilized, capable of delivering up to 50 percent of the power to the rear wheels. From the outside, the MAZDASPEED 6 is easily distinguished from MAZDA 6 sedans due to extensive use of unique body panels, including front fenders, front and rear fascias, hood, grille, rear spoiler and side sills.
Once inside the cockpit, drivers will find exclusive sport bucket front seats, a standard BOSE ® audio system, scuff plates with stainless-steel inserts and aluminum pedals. The MAZDASPEED 6 also features an available Advanced Keyless Entry and Start System that allows vehicle entry and ignition without handling the key fob.
Completely new for 2006, there are no significant changes made to the 2007 MAZDASPEED 6.
MAZDA 6 Sports Sedan, 5-Door, & Sport Wagon
For 2007, the MAZDA 6 Sports Sedan gets even better with a new trim grade structure, two new exterior colors and added standard content that includes Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Traction Control and Side Air Bags with Side Curtains on all models and trims. Whether it’s the sleek lines of the road hugging MAZDA 6 sports sedan, the functionality and style of the only mid-size 5-Door available in the U.S., or the performance and versatile cargo capacity of the MAZDA 6 Sport Wagon, the lineup fits every active lifestyle.
The MAZDA 6 set new standards for performance, driver appeal and styling when it was launched three years ago. As a vehicle that married sports performance with refinement and practicality, it has proved a huge sales success and picked up more than 70 awards for automotive excellence.
Enhancements to the 2007 MAZDA 6 include:
- Auto dimming inner mirror and Homelink standard on Grand Touring
- New trim grade structure
- Added standard content that includes Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Traction Control and Side Air Bags with Side Curtains on all models and trims
- Two new exterior colors – Smokestone (sedan and wagon only) and Violet Gray
MAZDA 3 4-Door and 5-Door
The perfect sedan for an active lifestyle, the 2007 MAZDA 3 receives many exterior changes, added standard content and seven new exterior colors. What makes the MAZDA 3 so impressive, and so unique, is that it delivers a total driving experience far greater than its price tag would have buyers believe. European sophistication, high-performance, advanced technology and best-in-class safety are the ingredients that make the MAZDA 3 a leader in the compact sedan segment.
MAZDA 3 5-Door is a sporty hatchback with design flair targeted to appeal to a youthful mindset. *** with a 2.3-liter, 160-horsepower MZR engine – the same as found in MAZDA 3 4-Door s, MAZDA 5 and MAZDA 6i– MAZDA 3 5-Door comes standard with a sport package that includes stylish front and rear bumpers, side-skirts, 17-inch alloy wheels, front fog lamps and unique taillights.
Enhancements to the 2007 MAZDA 3 include:
- Design refresh on 4-door and 5-door models
LED taillights standard on MAZDA 3 Grand Touring Sedan and Hatchback
- Clear-lens taillights with silver color bezels on MAZDA 3 i
- New interior trims and fabric
- Added rear center armrest with cupholders
- Additional 12V powerpoint in center console
- Standard tire pressure monitor system
- Dynamic Stability Control and Traction Control system available on Touring and Grand Touring Sedan and Hatchback
- New exterior colors for both Sedan and Hatchback – Phantom Purple, True Red, Galaxy Gray, Ice Blue, Aurora Blue, Phantom Blue and Crystal White
The Mazda RX-8 redefined the sports car segment when it was launched in summer 2003, and it continues to shake up the automotive world’s definition of what a sports car can be. With an exterior suggesting athletic tension, a unique twin-rotor RENESIS rotary engine and an interior offering comfort and practicality, the 2007 Mazda RX-8 continues to be a cutting-edge sports car, as well as the only mass-produced rotary-powered car in the world.
RX-8’s unique, athletically sculpted styling features freestyle doors and enough passenger room for four full-size adults. For 2006, six-speed Sport A/T automatic transmission-equipped cars received a power boost to 212-hp through the use of a similar six-port intake system as used on manual transmission-equipped cars. The 238-hp 6MT cars come with standard 18-inch wheels. Both vehicles are *** with power windows, mirrors and door locks, cruise control and a six-speaker AM/FM/CD audio system. For 2007, RX-8 adds minor enhancements including two new colors.
Enhancements for the 2007 RX-8 include:
- 6-disc CD changer is now standard on Touring and Grand Touring models
- Sand leather-trimmed seats available on the Grand Touring model
- New exterior colors – Crystal White Pearl and Stormy Blue Mica
The 2007 Tribute will be a late launch and will be completely new. Specific product information will be available closer to launch.
The 2007 B-Series remains Mazda’s rough and rugged compact pickup truck. The Mazda B-Series truck is available with a 2.3-liter I-4(B2300), 3.0-liter V6 (B3000) or 4.0-liter V6 (B4000) engine. All three versions are available with either a five-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission (B4000 Cab Plus 4 SE is equipped with A/T only). T he 2007 B-Series Truck remains largely unchanged.
Enhancements to the 2007 B-Series truck include:
- Two new exterior colors – Pueblo Gold and Vista Blue
- Standard tire pressure monitor system
The Mazda MPV will be discontinued for the 2007 model year.