Korean manufactures Kia and Hyundai turned in solid August sales numbers. Kia continued on a torrid sales pace moving 41,188 vehicles last month, a 26.9 percent increase from August 2010. As for Hyundai, while it didn’t turn in any record setting numbers, it still moved 58,505 vehicles out the door, a nine percent increase compared to the same time last year. To date, Hyundai has sold 77,372 more vehicles then it had at the same point last year. Kia continues to see record growth as it moved 93,843 more vehicles than it did at the same time last year as well.
Hyundai: Continuing to focus on fuel economy as it did in July appeared to be the right move for Hyundai in August. Out of the 58,505 cars moved last month, Hyundai reported 35 percent of those achieve 40 mpg. In its second full month on sale the Accent saw sales climb above 38 percent after being the best-selling sub-compact in its class for July.
- Year-to-date Hyundai sales are up 21 percent compared to 2010 as a whole
- Sales are up nine percent in August compared to the same time last year
- Santa Fe and Tuscon saw sales increase 55 and 24 percent, respectively for August
- Genesis continued a record-setting pace with its 26th consecutive month of increased sales year-over-year, a 13 percent increase over last August
Kia: Keeping pace with its fellow Korean auto maker, Kia saw some record numbers of its own roll in for August. Redesigning its line-up was one of the best decisions Kia has made in recent memory and the sales figures back that up. For the 12th consecutive month Kia has seen record sales and a 26.9 percent increase in sales over the same period last year helped the cause too. Kia hopes the Sportage, Forte, and Optima which were redesigned for the 2012 line-up can help imitate its current success.
- Best August ever reported courtesy of 41,188 vehicles moved; a 26.9 percent increase over the same period last year
- Year-to-date sales up 39.4 percent
- Sorento led the way for Kia in August moving 13,573 vehicles; an all-time best mark for the CUV
- Optima sold 6,157 units in August; up 4,443 from the same time last year
- Soul and Forte also turned in strong numbers for August with 6,885 and 6,677 vehicles sold respectively
Source: Hyundai, Kia