Ann Arbor, Mich. (August, 2007)– AUTOMOBILE Magazine, America’s leading automotive lifestyle publication (www.automobilemag.com), unveiled in its September 2007 issue the "25 Greatest Cars of All Time."
"This feature is certain to get people talking at water coolers, kitchens, garages and bars," said Gavin Conway, editor in chief of AUTOMOBILE.
After assembling "the best brains the magazine has," Conway said that the final list is "as intriguing as it is eclectic." He added that rather than looking at numbers and statistics, the editorial team evaluated cars from the perspective of drivability, aesthetics and historical significance. Conway said, "The results are predictable in part, but intriguing in their breadth." While the Jaguar E-type makes an appearance, so does the 1886 Benz Patent Motorwagen, a car with considerably less renown.
The winners, which cover both the 19th and 20th centuries, break down into five segments:
- Driving Enthusiast Cars: BWM E30 M3, Ferrari F430, Lotus Elan, Porsche 911 Carrera RS and Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
- Technologically Innovative Cars: Audi Quattro, Benz Patent Motorwagen, Citroen Traction Avant, BMC Mini and Bugatti Veyron 16.4 (pictured)
- Supercars: McLaren F1, Lamborghini Miura, Mercedes-Benz 300SL, Ferrari F40 and Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B
- Racing Cars: Lotus 49, Auto Union, Miller 91, Porsche 917 and Dodge Charger Daytona
- Icons: Military Jeep, Volkswagen Beetle, Chevrolet Corvette, Jaguar E-Type and Ford Model T
In addition to profiles of each car, the issue includes commentary from a selection of well-known automotive stars such as Carroll Shelby and Mario Andretti, on their favorite cars of all time.
Knowing that the top 25 cars are sure to generate discussion, AUTOMOBILE is making the original, unedited list of 150 cars available online (www.automobilemag.com/features/lists) for readers to peruse and decide which slighted cars deserved to make the list.
About AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE
AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE was founded in 1986 by veteran automotive journalist David E. Davis, Jr., and has a circulation of 550,000 and a total readership of 3.6 million. Recipient of more editorial awards than any other major automotive publication, AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE is designed to appeal to the interests of passionate automotive enthusiasts. Its diverse editorial mix includes behind-the-wheel experiences in the world’s most fascinating cars, as well as personalities, travel destinations, automotive art, vintage cars, and industry trends.
Press release via PRIMEDIA Enthusiast Media