Chevrolet has announced today that it has begun taking orders for the 2012 Chevrolet Volt, which will now be available nationwide. In addition, it has also announced that it will be dropping the price of the Volt by $1,005, setting it at a base price of $39,995. This price does include an $850 destination freight charge, and also excludes tax, title and license fees. Volt buyers are also able to take advantage of a federal tax credit of up to $7,500 subject to customer eligibility, which would drop the base price considerably.
A wider range of options and configurations that come with the expansion of Volt production nationally have allowed Chevy to lower the base price. Prior to the national rollout, the Volt, which was named the 2011 Motor Trend Car of the Year, was sold in just seven states and the District of Columbia.
“We are giving consumers greater choice of content as the Volt becomes available nationwide by the end of this year,” said Cristi Landy, Volt Marketing Director.”This gives us the opportunity to be more flexible in our pricing and still provide additional high-tech content to customers who want to purchase it.”
The 2012 Volt more than doubles the 2011 model in terms of the number of option packages offered; seven are available for the 2012 model as opposed to three for the 2011 model. A fully-loaded Volt that includes leather appointments, backup camera, navigation system, and premium paint and wheels is priced at $46,265, about $7,000 more than the base model.
The plug-in hybrid Volt has a driving range of up to 379 miles, based on EPA estimates, with the ability to drive roughly the first 35 miles on electric power alone, after which a gas-powered engine kicks in. Chevy expects to build up to 45,000 Volts during the 2012 calendar year.
Below is a list of new features available for the 2012 Volt, according to Chevy:
- Standard keyless access with passive locking; the car automatically locks and unlocks with the key fob in close proximity of vehicle
- OnStar Turn by Turn navigation standard for three years, and available in-dash navigation system
- Chevrolet MyLink including Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phones (late availability)
- Standard AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback and 7-inch diagonal color touch-screen display
- Available 17-inch sport alloy wheels with black inserts (late availability).